Sunday, November 4, 2012

Analyzing My Vote

With my only votes comprising of an absentee vote from Mexico, and an off the cuff vote in person, I decided to take this Presidential Election a bit more seriously. So seriously, in fact, that one of my personal goals for this year was to understand 27 key political issues. So, on the eve of the eve of the election, my wife and I used a method to determine our candidates that I would highly recommend if you have the time or interest. Warning: You very well may end up splitting your self up across party lines instead of down them.


Method:
1. Find some list of core issues which have the presidential candidates charted out on each one. Here's what we used.
2. Without looking at what each candidate said, answer each question yourself as Pro or Con.
3. After finishing, compare your answers to each candidate.
4. Take this as a percentage of the answers for which the candidate actually took a stand (ignore Not Enough Info and Not Clear. Also, correct "Now Con" to be "Con").
5. Review your top 2 candidates and ensure that the candidate with the highest score does not support any non-negotiable issues for you.

There was no surprise that my Yankee wife was heavily Democratic. What was interesting is that her second choice was the Green party! As for me, the surprise was an even split between the Republican and Democratic party, and a clear favorite for the Conservative Party's candidate.

We'll see if we follow these intuitions at the poll. Maybe my best choice will be wearing yellow boots to the church to cast my ballot.

2 comments:

  1. I did the procon quiz. Apparently I should have voted for Goode or the Constitution Party. Funny that every time I take a political quiz, I always end up being told I should be with the Constitution party. Haha. I just tell everyone I am Conservative...more so that most other parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, that's so funny. I fell into the Constitution Party as well!

    ReplyDelete