Saturday, February 2, 2013

To a Friend Who's Closer Than a Brother

This was a poem I wrote for David Montague a few years ago. I consider it still to be true, and the depths of what it means to create friendship:

To a Friend Who's Closer Than a Brother

In this world there seems to be
A closer friend than family.
Somehow they earn our deepest trust
Which never fades and never rusts.

But o how few are faithful friends
Who stick with us until the end
For seldom will a person die
Or for a good man give his life

So now I ask, "what is a friend?"
"And how do deep friendships begin?"
For me, I think, it goes like this:
Those men with words and works amiss
Are quickly stricken from that list.
But those whose tears and clinched fists
Fight with prayer against injustice
In my heart as a friend persist

But something dearer strikes the bond
Such simple things make us grow fond.
God's glue (it's called) takes many forms
From Gatorades to cleaning dorms.

It binds our hearts as we bind signs
To big gorillas for all to pine
"'Marry me, Anna.' What does it mean?"
As we, through love, let God's love beam.

Again I ask, "What is a friend?"
"And how do deep friendships begin?"
For now I know what there must be:
It isn't just proximity
In place or age or family.
But we must have ONE Bethany
Who calls our hearts that we may speed
Together toward our God and King.

No comments:

Post a Comment