Saturday, January 28, 2017

The People Groan - But We Rejoice

When righteous people increase, the people [of God] rejoice, but when a wicked person rules, everybody groans. Proverbs 20:2

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Thank you, God, for the election of Donald Trump as President of the United States. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has helped me have deeper conversations with my neighbors, friends, and colleagues.

It has helped redirect my hope.

It has shed light on concerns of other Americans that I did not know existed.

It has helped clarify the true nature of our fellow Americans' attitude toward the rest of the world.

It has created an opportunity for the church to stand up for what she believes in regardless of political affiliation.

It is serving as a deeper call for every individual to get involved, and do something to ensure that the systems change.

It has helped me appreciate and respect previous Presidents.

It has caused me to pray more regularly and with more clarity and vigor for our country and for our leaders.

It has shown me my role to be a leader where I am, instead of hoping for someone else to lead me and others.

It has caused me to remember that there is no law against the fruit of the spirit.


It has caused me to be thankful for the checks and balances of power.

It has made me thankful for a peaceful transition of government.

It has made me thankful for the freedom of speech, that citizens of this country can question, refute, and challenge those in power.

It has given me more opportunities to encourage other believers in a real and tangible way as they process the results of the election and the additional decisions.

It has brought the plight of refugees to the forefront of conversation and consideration in the public eye.

It has emboldened me to live by the Fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control), because against these things there is no law.

It will give an opportunity for Christian people to stand up in defense of their Muslim neighbors.

It will provoke more debate about the life of unborn children and the plight that faces women in crisis pregnancies.

It has made me look to God to ask what his purposes and plans are, and how he will use these things to bless those He loves and cares for.

It has caused my mother-in-law to have resolve to run for school board.

It will provoke many more people to take up the mantle of social justice for their neighbors, friends, and family.

It will provide a window in time for politicians to reveal their character as politically savvy or full of integrity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I reflect on these things, I want my thanksgiving to be genuine. I want to believe that I would give thanks for these things regardless of who was elected. I want to believe that God will use this to bring His Kingdom here on Earth as it is in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment